Thursday 9 February 2012

8th February 2012
Week 3 Studio Practise
 Saw only 3 of us this week looking at working on our own to experiment with different lighting techniques. I found this less inspiring than working in a group where you could bounce ideas off each other and it was a more sociable way of working..
The remit was to bring in different materials to work with, introducing more than one light to see the effects. I found this more difficult to control the shadows -  whether this was due to the products I used for the shoot or my choice of lighting,  and as we were all working independently the choice of lighting and reflectors was more limited.
I chose to use  a small spotlight and a D1 light with a honeycomb reflector, I also experiemented with a soft box but I didnt feel that it had much effect on the overall lighting of my image.

I felt that I got to grips more with the actual setting of the lights, light meter and radio controller so felt I benefitted but overall I did not get very excited about the images I produced., unlike my hat shoot which I feel produced some really exiting images and also the teapot shots from last week I was really pleased with and intend to use one of them with my final 8 images...

This image was taken using the small reflector with a honeycomb attached coming from the left hand side and a softbox angled from the right. I had hoped that i might eliminate the shadows but it did not have the desired effect



This second image I shot using the D1 with a Honeycomb reflector angled from the left as above, without the softbox


I decided to use a cloth under the products to eliminate the shadows whilst keeping the honeycomb reflector light on the left and the use of a small spotlight on the right. This lifted the liquids in the bottles.
I added in a small reflector on the left to lift the cream pot.

The lighting was adjusted for all shots to keep the camera settings consistent at
F/11, 1/125th second, ISO 100, 80mm focal length. The camera was set to manual  flash mode. A tripod was used.
Next week we are looking at photographing glass, opaque and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment